Wednesday 23 May 2012

Short Story Writing

They say normal humans only use a small percentage of our brain. But I am not normal. Nor is this girl sitting next to me. I don’t know her actual name and neither does she. I don’t even know mine. We use nicknames. I call her Red and she calls me blonde, after our hair colour. One thing I do know is that we aren’t one of those people who use that small percentageof the human brain. We use all of it. Red and I are test subjects of some terrible people. They stole us while we were young and messed with our brains. Or so we are told. Red and I just woke up one day with all the knowledge in the world.We are the smartest people in the world and we are trapped like lab rats. They told us we are kilometres under the ground. They would take us up to the world to con people, assassinate and any other things they want us to do. Money, I’m sure they have a skyscraper full of it. Red and I have discussed this. They must have tampered with our ability to know what is right. We can’t just scream out HELP. I don’t even know who I am.

"Get up!"a man in a mask said. Red was next to him. We walked down the long corridor and she whispered "killing a rich guy." I just nodded. I haven’t seen daylight in almost four months now. I look forward to these (or at least that’s what they are making me think) because I spend my time hunting my reflection. Because all I have is a bed in the underground prison they make me call home. No mirror to know what I look like. I guess that's the thing i miss the most. As we approach the end of the corridor the man in the mask gives us a pill and we take it. They have to knock us out. It’s probably just easier for them. I don’t know. Blackness goes away and I’m chained to a bed in a room. I wait 14 minutes and forty-two seconds before a man comes in wearing a black suit and the usual mask.He un-chains me from the bed by using the key he keeps in his front pocket. He will always keep it in his front pocket. I spend the day discussing the plan and other boring things I think are interesting.

The plan was easy. The rich man we are killing is hosting a party. We hack the security systems and kill the lights. Red will grab him and be out of there before anyone can figure out what even happened. I will break into his vault and lead masked men safely in and out of the vault so that they can steal whatever they need. I will meet Red a mile outside of his property. By this point masked men will have taken the rich man and all his money. The rich man will no longer be rich. He probably won’t be alive to even care. It was going well, we hacked the system perfectly (as usual). But red pulled out a mobile phone. "What are you doing? Where did you get that?" I yelled. She was shaking so much. She just screamed into the phone and hung up. "The police are on the way" she said. My brain told me to kill her. They wanted me to kill the traitor. I was too busy thinking about how she pulled it off. She knocked me out before I had the chance to try and hurt her.

I don’t know where I woke up. Red was smiling over me. Red doesn’t smile? Yet I just smiled back. "I never knew I could smile." I said and she just laughed. Red doesn't laugh? Yet I couldn’t help but join in. We just laughed. I literally could not remember the last time I laughed. They didn’t want us to have a sense of humor. When we both stopped laughing I asked her what happened. She explained, between giggles, that she called the police and they had to come because they heard ascream through the phone. They caught majority of the masked men and found out what was controlling us. She explained that they had several chips located throughout our brain. "Some surgeons worked on taking out those chips for a few months, or so people tell me." She said. "How did you do it? Calling the cops and all, I mean." "It’s simple," she said "really. I just… did it. One thing I’m still concerned about is that the leader of all those wicked men got away." "I’m going to kill him then." I said.I started walking out of the room before I stopped and had to ask. "We are still smart, yea?" she replied with a yes, telling me that she told them to try and just take out the bad chips. She also insisted that she came with me.

Finding him wasn't that hard, actually. We found him in an ugly motel. I doubt the receptionist lady even cared about giving a room to a wanted criminal. I whispered this to Red and she laughed. The receptionist, who had horrid grey hair that resembled a bird’s nest a bit, told us only one room was occupied. We went up some stairs to that room and Red put her ear up to the door. "Blonde, come here." So I did and all I heard was a deep voice that was crying heavily. I could have picked the lock but I kicked down the door, just for dramatic effect. This seemed to put Red in stiches. His eyes were bloodshot and he was wearing a dirty singlet and boxer shorts. "NO…" the man mumbled and jumped out of the second story window into a small patch of bushes. We ran down and caught up to him rather quickly. Red and I dragged him into a dirty alley-way and then she said "what do we do with him." I shrugged. "I don’t actually know." I got all up into his face to try and be intimidating. He squealed like a little girl. I had my hand tightly wrapped around his collar and I looked back at red to seeif she had any ideas. "Tell him that we don’t like him that much" so I did. And this made Red laugh. It was getting dark. I kicked him a few times and so did Red. We left him crumpled in the alley-way. I really did think that he deserved to die. But Red and I both agree we should get into the habit of making this guy’s life hell.

No comments: